Ron’s been in Longmont since 1978, investing in Downtown since he first moved in. An ArtWalk supporter for the entirety of the event’s 20 years, Ron supplies ArtWalk’s printing needs by producing the maps and posters you’ll see around town.
History Tour Stop
“This building was erected in 1904, and was originally owned by Carlton Calkins, an original member of the Chicago – Colorado Colony. The ground-floor was divided into two retail spaces, while the second story was a boardinghouse or small hotel named “The Carlton.” Early businesses in the building include Worleys’ Book Store, and the Booth Flemming Company dry goods store. In later years, the building was home to Ben Franklin and Gambles stores. The storefront in the lower façade apparently dates from 1939 when Pete Jacobson, a Longmont contractor, was issued a building permit with the work described as “remodel store building and putting in [a] new front.” No other exterior alterations are known to exist.
Carlton Chase Calkins, was born in Saratoga County, New York, in 1847, the son of Calvin P. and Elizabeth (Smith) Calkins. He attend Union College, receiving a degree in civil engineering in 1868. Calkins then moved to Chicago, where he taught school and worked as a farmhand. While delivering produce to the marketplace he saw an advertisement for the Chicago-Colorado Colony. He and his wife, Catherine (Kate) Boyce Calkins, decided to join the venture, obtaining Certificate Number 57 from the Colony. Arriving in the St. Vrain Valley, Mr. and Mrs. Calkins built their home on Lot 16 of the Colony’s plat, located in the 300 block of Coffman Street. Mr. Calkins supported his family as surveyor for the rapidly growing colony, before eventually acquiring 640 acres northeast of Longmont. He built a large reservoir called Calkins Lake (Union Reservoir) on his land, where he raised dairy cattle and grew potatoes. A farsighted man, Calkins invested his profits in banking and milling. For 45 years, he served as director of the Farmers’ National Bank, which he had helped organize. He also was a founding partner in several area mills and was instrumental in the establishment of many Longmont businesses, including those in the Calkins Building on Main Street. He served a term in the Colorado Legislature, in 1892-1893. In 1895, Calkins retired from farming and moved to Longmont where he served as the Longmont City Engineer. In this capacity, he was responsible for helping design the Longmont and Berthoud sewer systems.” – Office of Archaeology and Historic Preservation, History Colorado