Just to the west of Main Street, at 3rd Avenue and Terry St, the Callahan House is a historically designated home given to the City of Longmont in 1938 by Thomas and Alice Callahan. This historic Victorian home is a warm and lovely backdrop for elegant and memorable special events from dinner parties to weddings. The Italian garden can accommodate 150 guests during the summer months. The garden is an exquisite location with a fountain, statues, large shade trees, multiple annual and perennial flowerbeds, large lawn and graceful drive.
The Callahan House opens its doors and hosts local member artists and musicians during ArtWalk!
History Tour Stop
“T.M. Callahan was born 1857 in Chillicothe, Illinois. He was trained as a teacher and an itinerant photographer who loved to travel. He fell in love with and married Alice Barnett, a banker’s daughter, in Humansville, Missouri in 1886.
Together they moved west to Longmont in 1889 where they opened a small dry goods store on Main Street called “The Golden Rule.
As his business prospered he expanded into general merchandise, with Alice by his side and often in the lead making tasteful and stylish product choices. T.M. Callahan opened multiple “The Golden Rule” stores throughout the Rocky Mountain and Pacific Coast states where his well-trained Longmont clerks became managers. J.C. Penney took a job with Callahan from 1899 to 1907 after Penney’s butcher shop failed. In partnership they opened a store in Kemmerer, Wyo., which would later become one of Penney’s chain stores. The first store under the J.C. Penney name was in Longmont, Colo.
In 1938, the Callahans moved to Nevada to be near their son. They gifted their house and garden to the City of Longmont. ” – City of Longmont Community Services
Find a Full History, see vintage photos, and view this beautiful – and beautifully restored – home during ArtWalk!
Did You Know?
In 1902 the Callahans purchased the first automobile in Longmont, and built an “automobile house” to store it. Alice Callahan was an enthusiastic driver and staunch proponent of women’s rights, explicitly instructing the City of Longmont to use the house as a meeting place and social center for the women of Longmont.